ATS Injury Prevention Coordinators Course
Saturday, June 11th, 2016 - Sunday, June 12th, 2016
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
University Health System - San Antonio
San Antonio, TX
Throughout the United States, unintentional injury continues to be a leading cause of death and disability for all age groups. Hundreds of thousands of individuals are affected by injury or injury-related deaths each year. Evidence shows that effective prevention programs and strategies work to reduce these statistics. The ATS Injury Prevention Coordinator’s Course is geared towards establishing and developing a formal hospital based, multi-faceted injury prevention program. This 2-day course was developed by seasoned injury prevention professionals across the country and is designed to cover 14 chapters on injury and data analysis, education, program development, advocacy, promotion, and more!
The ATS’s Injury Prevention Course was developed in collaboration with members of the Trauma Prevention Coalition (Including, the Society of Trauma Nurses (STN), American College of Surgeons – Committee on Trauma (ACS-COT), Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma (EAST), Trauma Center Association of America (TCAA) and American Association for the Surgery of Trauma (AAST).
Some of the key course objectives include:
- Identifying where injury prevention fits into the trauma system.
- Connecting mechanisms of injury with safety interventions and analyzing their potential impact.
- Understanding social, financial and psychological impact of traumatic injuries and exploring how peer support groups can impact recovery.
- Analyzing how injury prevention initiatives / public and population health initiatives impact communities.
- Understanding types of injury prevention data and their strengths and weaknesses
- Reviewing the basic terminology of epidemiology and how it relates to injury prevention.
- Understanding different applications of standard epidemiologic techniques to quantify risk in injury prevention.
- Designing tools necessary for interventions.
- Identifying community stakeholders, and key partnerships to develop unique ways to promote and facilitate community-based programs.
- Reviewing successful advocacy techniques in injury prevention.
- Engaging media and interfacing with your hospital’s public relations department.
- Exploring funding opportunities to build and sustain injury prevention programs. Discuss funding opportunities for exploration in support of injury prevention programs.
- Analyzing research and study design and its role in injury prevention programs
Developing strategic plans and the need for business planning to grow an injury prevention program.
- And More!
$475 For Members
$535 For Non-Members
Please note-there is an additional $25 fee if the Printed Binder option is selected
Omni San Antonio Hotel at the Colonnade
9821 Colonnade Boulevard
San Antonio, TX 78230
Reservations made under the ‘ATS Injury Prevention Course’ Room Block via the 800-THE-OMNI reservation desk or online link will receive $129/night pricing. The deadline to make reservations under this rate is Friday, May 27.