JOIN ATS   |   Print Page   |   Sign In
Re-admissions
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

5/2/2017 at 10:02:34 PM GMT
Re-admissions
Hi - Can anyone assist in pointing me to a reference/definition of re-admission - am not able to locate in the NTDS data dictionary. Thanks!

5/6/2017 at 4:50:24 PM GMT
Hello N. Maddox,

Great question! The NTDS Data Dictionary does not provide a definition of re-admission. According to Amy Svestka the Program Manager, Data Quality with the American College of Surgeons NTDS and NTDB does not collect post discharge data. The surveillance period is only for the initial injury and re-admissions are not included unless the patient has a new injury.

This means re-admissions are not sent on to NTDS or part of the NTDB however you will want to check with your State or Local registries to see if they require you to submit re-admissions.

I know at my Trauma Center we do collect re-admissions within 30 days of discharge. We do include them in our trauma registry so we can monitor for PI opportunities to improve patient outcomes. If your State or Local Registries do not have re-admission definitions then you are able to create a definition that works best for your trauma center.

I hope this helps!

Garrett Hall, BSN, RN, CSTR

Association Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal