JOIN ATS   |   Print Page   |   Sign In
Criteria for Anesthesia
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

5/16/2016 at 2:28:52 PM GMT
Criteria for Anesthesia

I am hoping for some help on the Criteria for Anesthesia providers at a Level III facility. Our site does not have an OB department so we do not have anesthesia in house 24 hours at this time.

Specifically how are you achieving Chapter 11 Clinical Services Anesthesia requirements of:  In Level III hospitals, in-house anesthesia services are not required, but anesthesiologists or CRNA’s must be available within 30 minutes AND Level III trauma centers without in-house anesthesia services, protocols must be in place to ensure the timely arrival at the bedside by the anesthesia provider within 30 minutes of notification and request.

I could also use some help on list serv’s or areas where I might get this question answered if you guys can’t help. I looked at the STN web site and the ACS COT web site but maybe I am just not in the right area.

Thank you in advance,

Beverley Leone RN BSA EMT-P

Trauma Program Coordinator

Beaumont Health Taylor

5/19/2016 at 6:24:28 PM GMT
Hi Beverly,

If you don't have anesthesia in-house, I suspect they're on call, correct? Check to see what your hospital's medical staff bylaws say for their arrival times, which may need to be ammended to correspond to the standard for trauma's 30 minute summons. As for the "protocols must be in place," you should probably make that a PIPS indicator and review fallouts. It can get ambiguous as to when the clock starts ticking for the 30 minutes, which is usually based on patient arrival. However, for anesthesia, you may want to incorporate into your "protocol" that such time begins when anesthesia is summoned.

Bona fide answers can be obtained through cotvrc@facs.org.

Association Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal